The Centre is a non-profit organization created on March 31, 1983 under the name of “Réseau d’Échanges de Services de Côte-des-Neiges”.
The Centre was re-named in April 1987, and is now known as the “Cote-des-Neiges Volunteer Centre”. There are two employees to coordinate the activities. It is managed by a Board of Directors, composed of volunteers elected at the Annual General Meeting.
List of members of the board :
● Bach Hue Nguyen : President
● Marie-Josée Wenger : Vice president
● Nancy Vermilus : Treasurer
● Oulimata Diagne : Secretary
● Janine Fata : Administrator
● Sami Baffoun : Administrator
● Johnny Pierre : Administrator
Our mission :
● Providing for the needs of the elderly and/or handicapped of 55 years of age and over of Cote-des-Neiges
● Helping to keep the elderly in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible
● Promoting and helping to maintain a sense of security and an overall well-being for our clients
The Centre, which is now well established, integrated a little at a time in the community. Today, about 200 regular clients receive the following services thanks to the constant implication of its wonderful volunteers.
● Hello How Are You Security line : for elderly who live alone with health problems
● Friendly Visits : for isolated elderly who live alone who would like a visitor to share their stories and experiences or to go out for walks
● Friendly Phone calls: for those who need to talk or just need a little encouragement
● Grocery Shopping : provides essential food supplies and/or medication to elderly who are unable to get them themselves
● Accompaniment : Doctor’s appointments, pharmacy, bank, etc.
The Centre today is very active and works in collaboration with the public health care services and other organizations of the area. It is well recognized and has an important role in the home-care support services for the elderly. Volunteer recruitment is essential to meet the increasing demands of its clients.
The Centre’s success is a joint effort of its volunteers, its personnel, and its Board of Directors, who together share Enthusiasm, Generosity, Patience and Values.